- Acne is chronic inflammatory disease of the sebum producing unit.
- Acne is considered as a chronic disease due to its prolonged course,pattern of recurrence and relapse and manifestations.
- Acne has significant psychological and social burden on the quality of life.
95% Boys n >85% Girls experience acne during their teenage yrs approximately.50% continue to suffer from acne in adulthood.
The development of acne involves a complex interaction between the main factors such as
Stress,Medication,Smoking,Endocrine diseases,Diet,Changes in sebum which increases the activity of sebaceous glands,Propinobacterium acne inflammation.
- There are 2 maintypes of adult acne Persistent acne: that continues from adolescence to adulthood often with remission periods.This subtype is the mmost common.
Late onset acne: This begins long after puberty between 21 to 25yrs. Seen in about 20%.Women with late onset acne have less comedones.
HORMONES: Androgens play a key role in stimulating sebum production,pore clogging,inflammation and lead to development of severe acne. POLYCYSTIC OVARIAN SYNDROME account for over 90% cases of androgen excess.
- Hormone related acne is usually seen along the jaw line,chin.
BACK ACNE /TRUNCAL ACNE
Its possible to develop both inflammatory and non inflammatory acne on the back.
Inflammatory lesions will be red and swollen.
Non inflammatory will be blackheads & whiteheads.
Common causes of acne breakout includes soaps,moisturisers with oils in them,hair products with sulphates,sweat, exposure to sunlight, shoulder pads,and other sporting equipment.
SKIN CARE TIPS FOR ADULT ACNE:
- Moisturiser should be used in the morning regardless of skin type.
- Aqueous non comedogenic moisturisers containing minimal allergenic ingredients are recommended.
- Use if UVA/UVB sunscreen is recommended for all patients.
- All skin care products and cosmetics should be anti comedonal and oil free.
- Avoid overly drying cleansers as they increase the likelihood of enhancing irritation.
- Gently wash as soon as possible after significant perspiration and wear loose fitting,absorbent clothing.
- Skin needs varies with changing seasons.Skin tends to b drier in winter and oily in summer. Skin care products that are more drying and irritating such as toners,astringents,are better tolerated in summers
HOW TO PREVENT ACNE????SOME SOLUTIONS:
- All adult acne patients use gentle,non soap cleanser and non comedogenic and oil free moisturiser.
- Avoid touching acne or other facial eruptions with hands spreading infection further.
- Keep your hair falling on your face.Dirt and oils increase acne.
- Do not use oil based make up.
- Use only non comedogenic products.
- Follow your skin care regimen diligently.
- Eat a healthy diet with lots of fruits and vegetables and drink plenty of water to wash of toxins from the body.
- Take sufficient essential fatty acids.Body needs omega3,6 & 9 fatty acids.
- Regular exercise &adequate sleep.
- Avoid prolonged exposure to sunlight.
- Reduce the stress level if possible.
- Avoid sugary,iodized food,coffee and carbonated drinks.
- Stop smoking as it makes skin dry up and break easily.
- Wear soft cotton clothes to get relief from itching and irritation of acne on your back and shoulders.
- Shower immediately after excercises.
- Use a clean pillowcase.
- Consult a dermatologist to treat severe outbreaks of acne.