Every one’s skin has some oil produced by the sebaceous glands found under the skin’s surface. This natural oil is called sebum. If this waxy, oily fluid is produced in excess, we call it oily skin. A person is said to have oily skin when it constantly looks shiny, has enlarged pores, skin feels greasy, has more acne related problems. Breakouts can occur more frequently as the sebum gets combined with the dead skin cells and gets fixed in the pores. Though this natural oil acts as a moisturiser to protect the skin from drying, too much oil production can create oily skin which is prone to acne related problems and breakouts. One possible solution is to have a balance between having too much oil and having just enough natural moisture on the skin.
In this article, we look at the causes of oily skin and how to manage oily skin to avoid the greasy look.
Causes of oily skin
- Hormonal changes: when the body cannot maintain a healthy hormonal balance, it may be causing oily skin. The key is to reduce this hormonal imbalance through some lifestyle changes like regular exercise and proper sleep. If it does not work then it is better to consult the Microdermabrasion in Bangalore so they can treat the underlying health condition at the right time.
- Genetics: another possible cause for oily skin can be linked to genes. If one or both of the parents are having oily skin, chances are that the off-spring also will get oily skin. While this cannot be reversed, with proper precautions and suggestions from the best dermatologist in Bengaluru, it is easy to handle the problem.
- Stress: stress has, in the recent years, proved to be the culprit behind many health problems including skin problems such as oily skin. The more stress a person takes, the more problems he faces. The best solution to this is to always be positive and take some time out to spend time in the nature and do meditation and yoga.
- Seasonal changes, location: usually during summer season the sebaceous glands tend to produce more sebum than during the other seasons, also if one is located in dry areas, these glands produce more of this waxy fluid in order to keep the skin moisturised. This the season and location also play a role in oily skin.
- Diet: in this busy world, people are used to fast-food, or eating out. Junk food or packaged food is another major cause of oily food. The excess oil used for frying and the other ingredients which stimulate the skin to produce more oil cause the skin to appear oily and thereby causing trouble with pimples and blackheads. A possible solution to this can be to have a balanced diet as per your body type. Getting all the necessary vitamins and minerals required by the body in adequate amounts can solve this problem but self treatment like taking multivitamin tablets may not work for many as they show positive effects only when there is a deficiency of that particular supplement in the body. So it is advised to get the proper analysis of your body type and the levels of various vitamins and minerals in your body from the best skin doctor in Bengaluru so they can prescribe the right medicines to manage the right oil balance.
- Age: a person’s age is another factor which can determine the amount of oil produced by the sebaceous glands. As age increases, the production of sebum reduces, that is why people in old age have dry skin. This is actually an advantage to oily skin people as their signs of ageing are delayed due to the excess oil.
- Cleaning routine: improper cleaning routine and the wrong products for cleaning can also trigger the sebaceous glands to produce more sebum thereby making your skin oily. Products with high pH levels and those with harsh chemicals may remove the moisture from the face and result in excessive production of oil by the skin pores.
- Scrubbing: scrubbing regularly, especially when you have oily skin in return increases the production of sebum. It is better to just gently rub your face than scrub it.
So what is the take of experts on managing oily skin?
Though it is not possible to permanently get rid of oily skin, here is what the experts suggest in order to manage oily skin.
- Moisturize regularly: it may seem strange but always moisturize your skin by using oil-free moisturiser to keep it hydrated. A well hydrated skin doesn’t need to produce more oil to protect it from drying. You can also apply aloe vera before sleeping and wash it off in the morning. But be aware of the chemicals used in the gel, if natural aloe vera is not available, as they may cause irritation to certain skin types.
- Wash often: washing your face often with plain, warm water or by using mild soap, without sulphur and parabens is a great trick to stay fresh. Also avoid using loofahs and fragrant soaps or face wash as they contain harsh chemicals. Some medicated acne care products can help but make sure to use them only under expert supervision or consult a dermatologist near you.
- Stay dry: make sure to pat dry your skin after every wash. This should be done with care as pulling down the skin or using harsh towels may stimulate the production of excessive sebum which may increase the problem. Try using a soft towel and gently touch the skin with it to reap the benefits.
- Use home remedies: Applying face packs with ingredients easily available in the kitchen can calm the effects of oily skin to certain extent.
- Aloe Vera: apply a generous amount of aloe vera extract from the plant, gently rub it all over the face and leave it overnight, wash off in the morning to get maximum benefits.
- Honey: apply a thin layer of honey and wash it with like warm water after an hour.
- Turmeric: make a paste with lemon and turmeric in equal quantities by adding some rice flour and apply a generous amount, let it dry and wash with warm water by gently rubbing it off, make sure you won’t scrub it as it may increase the oil production.
- Multhani mitti: multhani mitti or cosmetic clay is available online. Take a spoon of this cosmetic clay and add rose water to make it a smooth paste. Apply evenly on the face and neck and wash off with like warm water after half an hour pat dry gently after each wash.
- Oatmeal face pack: mix oatmeal with warm water or honey and make it into a paste. Apply this mixture on the face and neck and gently massage it so the pores will be cleansed and blemish free. Wash off after 15 minutes with warm water and pat dry.
- Tomato face pack: extract the pulp from a tomato and add a spoon of sugar. Gently massage it on the face and neck and cleanse it after five minutes.
- Stay hydrated: consume enough water as dehydration will lead to drying up of the skin which may give the signal to produce more sebum.
- Use water-based make up products: while opting for make-up products go for water-based make-up products or oil-free foundations and matte primers as these products are made of oil absorbing ingredients.
- Use of toners: the right pH levels are maintained with the help of a toner. Right after washing your face, pat dry and apply a toner so it also removes dirt which might have been remain after the wash. Toner also helps to tighten the pores and improve skin texture.
- Blotting Papers: blotting papers come in handy especially when outdoors. Carry a pack of these blotting papers and gently touch the skin with it and leave for few moments so that the paper absorbs the oil. Make sure nor to rub them on the skin as it may distribute the excess oil to other parts of the skin making the condition worse.
- Avoid oily food: it is better to be away from deep fried food and oily food and eat a balanced diet by taking expert advice.
- Stay stress-free: a stress-free life is key to many advantages. It not only gives a peaceful mental health but also has many positive effects on the overall health.
- Use the right products: products with salicylic acid, glycolic acid, beta-hydroxy acid, and benzoyl peroxide will help with oily skin care routine.
Please be aware that each and every person’s skin type, location, age, and medical condition isn’t the same and they need to be treated in a different way. If excessive oil on your skin and acne related problems are a concern for you, then it is better to consult the best Skin Pigmentation in Bengaluru.